May 2020 Newsletter
What Will Your New Normal Be?
From an email from an advertiser this week:
It is chaotic – and every day is a NEW Adventure…….
When will things "return to normal." What will a "new normal" look like?
While you must have a plan for your future, this article has an appropriate reminder -
And this one - No Plan Survives First Contact With Customers
We won't go back to business as usual in a few days. Or weeks. Or months.
The world is going to change forever, and only those who can adapt to change quickly enough will survive and prosper.
After validating your current orders, quotations and material supply chain, contact lost quotes and confirm your material availability on lost quotes.
How will you return to business after rethinking your sales and marketing focused back on your "Getting Specified" strategy? I expect that many larger design firm specifiers will be working remotely. How will you contact them? How will you answer their questions?
Some of my thoughts:
- When you phone the design firm, ask if they still employ the same specifier you have worked with before. Ask the receptionist the best way to contact a person. When responding to an email ask for their remote phone numbers - knowing they may be temporary.
- Many remote workers are working from home phones and cell phones. Remind them to update their email signatures to include that number.
- Check the Caller Id on your office and rep phones. With the increased number of spam calls, a valid Caller Id is important to get your calls answered. The Caller Id Test website will show what name or information is being sent. [link no longer provides needed info]
- Plan for video contact using Zoom, Skype, Microsoft Teams and the new Google Meet (replacing hangouts). Consider buying a dedicated microphone and better web camera for each tech support and marketing person. Consider the background in the video and clear any clutter.
- Consider an eFAX number for remote workers to send faxes. Consider providing them scanners to scan information to be emailed.
- Create short (under 10 minutes) presentations on product selection and provide online for viewing on a smart phone or a computer. Set up on-demand videos to answer typical questions. Provide links in emails and your website.
- Convert your lunch and learns to be projected into a conference room. Reimburse the design firm to provide lunch to the attending staff.
We wish you, your family and staff great health and prosperity.
Questions, comments and suggestions are always appreciated.
Publisher - 4specs