4specs Survey Results
How Do Specifiers Find and Use Your Product Information?
- 2011 Google Analytics Study - Executive Summary - 88 advertisers provided 4specs with their "All Traffic Sources" referrer page for a 30 day period.
- Spreadsheet showing individual company results, with company name removed.
- 2008 User Survey - 6 page summary - Research was conducted by Verified Audit Circulation
- Commercial & Institutional. 74% of our users are doing institutional and commercial work. Institutional is even bigger than commercial.
- Mostly Architects and Specifiers. About 43% of our users are specifiers and about 43% are architects. Specifiers do a higher volume of work – and 65% of the specifiers use us EVERY DAY.
- Loyalty. Users tend to pick one website for their product research and stick with it. Very few of our users also rely on other construction directories and aggregators.
- Internet Reliance. Our users estimate that 62% of their product research relies on the Internet, vs. 15% from all print sources (manufacturers' binders was #1), 15% from product/sales reps, and 5% from trade shows.
- 2008 User Survey - 51 page report - 194k pdf - more detail plus pages of comments filled into the open question areas.
An independent research survey conducted for 4specs by Verified Audit Circulation. This was a survey of all 1,081 CSI (Construction Specifications Institute) Certified Construction Specifiers and members of SCIP (Specification Consultants in Independent Practice). A total of 285 telephone surveys were completed (26.4% of the population).
- 2006 Survey - Verified Audit Report Full Report (including Executive Summary) - (PDF)
- Questions used for phone surveys (PDF)
- Specifiers were twice as likely to use the Internet as print for product research. And 86.7% of their Internet research takes them to your website, either through 4specs, Google, Yahoo, or directly.
- 72.7% of respondents named 4specs as their most frequently used industry specific Internet product research tool (vs. 15.2% for Sweets, 7.3% Arcat, 4.9% First Source).
- 4specs' greatest strength is among high-volume, full-time specifiers. For instance, 41.7% of full-time independent specifiers use 4specs daily and 66.7% use us weekly. These professionals average 45 projects per year totaling $379 million.
We sent one email to the 150 SCIP (independent specifiers) and 150 registered members of the 4specs discussion forum and posted the survey on the 4specs website for about 3 weeks. The person had to print out the questionaire and fax it back to us. We requested their name and in 95% of the cases got a name and company. We had 113 responses to the survey.