August 2016 Newsletter
Target Landing Pages
Your website has 2 types of visitors:
- Users coming from a search engine having used specific words to land on a specific page
- Users directly coming to your home page by typing in your url (from an ad, from literature or from knowing your url) or from a directory (such as 4specs)
This month I am looking at landing pages for search engine visitors. Start by picking the top 5 interior pages on your website. Typically the results from the top 5 will apply to the rest of your website.
- View each page on a wide screen monitor, a smaller laptop computer and on a smart phone
- Observe as if you were a new visitor (or use a person not familiar with your website and products) to find the following:
- How to phone or email your company for more information
- How to find your local representative
- Download your specifications, CAD and BIM objects.
- Print the page using a B&W printer. Print the page using a color printer. Print the page as a pdf. Are the pages usable? Frequently an architect will save the page as a pdf for future reference and to pass to the specifier.
- Go to the home page and see if you can understand what the company does and what other products are available.
- Visit WebPageTest.org and see how quickly the pages load. A good target download is 2 seconds. I frequently see manufacturer pages take 20+ seconds to load.
Feedback, comments and suggestions always appreciated.
Publisher - 4specs